Thursday, January 3, 2013

Day 3 - One day, he will change the world...

I think that to some degree, when naming their son, men think of the men that they admire, the type of man they hope their son will become. 

Quarterback. 
Lawyer. 
Doctor. 
Preacher. 

I knew we had our name when my husbands eyes lit up and he said ' I can just imagine that on the front of book someday ... ' and he start announcing the name in variations, experiencing the sound on his lips as he read the name as that as an author.. a philosopher... a man with a great mind. A man that could change the world. 

Joel Athanasius. 

I know my son will change the world. I have one expectation for him. That he be a good man. The kind of man, whom is honest & good from the core. A man who can love abundantly. 

I am optimistic.... I want to raise a man who will change the world... by loving his wife as Christ loves the church. Who nutures his children with grace and compassion. Who works hard. Who is loyal and has integrity. 

I already see the kindness in his eyes, the gentleness of his soul. The compassion. His tender love for his family. The way he likes to climb on your lap and rest his cheek right against mine. The way he strokes my arm, when I stroke his head at night, as I rock him to sleep.

We change the world not always by great professional endeavors that are their for all to see. No, we change the world by loving unconditionally and sacrificing for those who know us. 

The truth is, we don't mind what profession he chooses. I do care, who he chooses to be ... I want him to choose to be the kind of man, father's are happy for their daughters to marry. 

I am also optimistic ... that he will love books & reading... since he already makes us read at least 10 books a day, and here .... he fell asleep, in his diaper, 'reading' a rather large book ... 


No comments:

Post a Comment