Sunday, January 20, 2013

Day 16 - Signs of Winter


This summer we started a nature co-op with our homeschool group. We have learned together, to keep our eyes open, to look and question. 

Now you come running... 

" What plant do you think this is?" 
"Mommy, see this bug?" 
" I wonder what kind of fruit this plant makes?" 
" What flower is this?" 
"Do you think frogs live here?" 
" Why can birds fly?" 

I love when you think quietly and then answer, the wheels of wonder and logic rolling. Then you speak. With surprising wisdom, you understand, you know by observing God's creation, innately, something of it's essence. It's purpose. 

Sometimes you don't know. Sometime neither do I. Then you look at me and say 
" Maybe we can do some research and try to identify that" 
" We should go to the library and find a book that can tell us more about it!" 

In all the technology, movies and disney worlds ... children are so thrilled by the bright and shiny  plastic and noise, that we forget to teach and forget to show them, the beautiful wonder of the earth. 

They don't know how to be lost in the joy of exploration in just a field. If there isn't something to entertain, they become bored. 

I want a field, a forest, a river, a mountain ... to be the most riveting adventure of all for you my sweet children. 

You made me smile so much Esther, when in the snow you discovered this green. The brightness shining with spring through the evidence of winter. You were so proud. And I am so proud of you, for noticing the small, insignificant - to - many, green in the snow. To me, it meant so much. 


No comments:

Post a Comment